Touched by an Angel

Left to right: Jonathan, Marie, Daughter Stephanie, Daughter-in-law Hannah, Son Timothy

Below is a testimony from one of the members from First Chinese Baptist Church Walnut.

April 21, 2020
A short sharing from Marie ……

Coronavirus, a microorganism, invisible to our naked eyes, has turned our world upside down. In the last 30 days, who could possibly imagine,

• A handshake or a hug is a luxury that we cannot afford

• The distance between two persons is kept at minimum 6 feet apart.

• A face mask becomes a piece of clothing we have to put on when we go outside.

• A cough or a fever can be a symptom of something life-threatening.

• Home becomes a shelter where we are ordered to be bound in.

For me, I could never imagine that I was pushed to the edge of feeling a potential loss of a loved one.

On March 25th (Wednesday), Jonathan complained about massive body pain with a low-grade fever. With the doctor’s advice, he was put on antibiotics and ordered to stay home for continual monitoring. His illness was not improved in the next few days. So, we paid a visit to the ER on Sunday to see if he can get a test for COVID. After sitting on a bench, alone, outside of the ER rooms for two hours, he was finally greeted by an ER doctor and given blood tests and chest X-ray order. That was it. He was not “sick enough” to be tested for Coronavirus. After another hour of waiting, the blood test results only confirmed that he did not have a flu and the chest X-ray showed that he had mild pneumonia. As a result, he was sent home.

Other symptoms started to manifest in the next couple days: high fever, coughing and short of breath. Our doctor started treating him with a new set of medication. I started to monitor his oxygen saturation level through an oximeter. For a normal healthy person, the level should be above 97%. On April 2nd Thursday morning, his oxygen level dropped below 90%. I drove him to the ER AGAIN and dropped him off by the curbside. He was wheel chaired into the hospital because he was too weak to walk.

In the next 72 hours, God took my hands, walked alongside with me and allowed me to witness His goodness in our lives. He gave me 3 verses to guide me every step of the way.

“For we live by faith, not by sight.” – 2 Corinthians 5:7

I was notified that Jonathan were admitted immediately. With the new “no-visitor” policy in the hospital during this pandemic time, I had no communication with Jonathan at all except through the medical staff. He was too weak to use the phone himself. On that night, I received a call from the doctor that Jonathan’s condition was considered moderate. He was given oxygen and medication and placed in an observation unit. Since I could not see him, I just had to trust all medical staff at the hospital will take care of him and make him feel comfortable. I also had to trust God that He would watch over him.

However, 24 hours later, on April 3rd Friday afternoon, his condition turned from moderate to severe. He was in need for more oxygen. A trip from the bed to the bathroom was a major event. He was grasping for air. The doctor had to transfer him to the ICU for closer monitoring. He was hooked to a high-flow oxygen device which delivered 100% heated and humidified oxygen through nasal cannula. It was not comfortable at all. The doctor speculated that he would need to stay in the hospital for a long time.

I remain confident of this:

“I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.” – Psalm 27:13-14

On April 4th Saturday morning, the COVID test result was confirmed positive. Although Jonathan was alert and oriented, he felt very weak. The doctor warned me that the next 24 – 48 hours were very critical. Many COVID patients usually started to have Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome around this time if the condition had not improved. If that happened, they would have no choice but to put him on a ventilator. They would have done everything they could do medically to support him. The goal was to build up enough ammunition for his own immune system to fight the virus.

I managed to get him on the phone for couple minutes and encourage him to fight. I told him that we will fast and pray for him. There were many brothers and sisters praying for him. I never felt so powerless, weak and afraid. However, during the fast and prayer time, I slowly realized that there was not much I could do besides cry out to the Lord and WAIT….

“The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness“. – Lamentation 3:22-23

One thought to “Touched by an Angel”

Leave a Reply